NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Life Jacket Loaner Stations and Social Distancing

Posted 04-03-2020 09:36 PM

Several States wish to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to protect their citizens, with that in mind, there is a question that arises  as to Life Jacket Loaner Stations and the safety of proper hygiene.  I am receiving several calls a day asking if our State has restricted access to boat ramps or waters, to which I must answer, "We are open for all forms of recreation". 

My question to you is this "should we keep life jackets on our loaner stations"?  With the increase of boaters should we think about the bigger picture (saving lives) - will more boaters be effected by COVID-19 or by not wearing a life jacket.  Any thoughts you may have on this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and please be safe.

Cheers,
    Kim 

------------------------------
    Kim Jackson
    Boating & OHV Safety Education Program Manager
    AZ Game & Fish Dept

• 2.  RE: Life Jacket Loaner Stations and Social Distancing

Posted 04-04-2020 08:53 AM
    Perhaps the health department can give you disinfection guidelines for synthetic cloth. While I'm not at all sure how it would translate, all I've read says that the virus can survive for up to three days on plastic surfaces.  Perhaps rotating the jackets so they have a week or so to sit would help, but, of course, that doesn't help the folks doing the lending.

David Dickerson
    Vice President, State Government Relations
    National Marine Manufacturers Association

• 3.  RE: Life Jacket Loaner Stations and Social Distancing

Posted 04-04-2020 10:11 AM
    Kim,
    I recommend you refer to this link:

https://uscgboating.org/multimedia/news-detail.php?id=532&fbclid=IwAR1DL-TgmP3hd3dHNkNDN8ojYWYkggrxxA9N1k6Qm-2rV1JJvxHejbobL-g

Len Nelson
    Absolute Outdoor