NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 04-16-2020 09:48 AM

With National Safe Boating Week a few weeks away, I am wondering what approach and messaging other jurisdictions will be using during the Covid-19 crisis?

Michelle Maruk

Small Vessel Officer

Transport Canada

Michelle.maruk@tc.gc.ca

613 -299-9423

• 2.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 04-17-2020 07:53 AM

Mercury Marine & Brunswick boats had been planning on a social media outreach reminding people of their safe boating responsibilities. We are going to blend that with some of the physical (social) distancing guidance that is being suggested: No one board outside your immediate isolated family, keep at least 6 feet while launching/retrieving etc. The USCG Boating Safety Facebook page has gotten the jump on messaging and is posting some great content.

------------------------------
    Peter Chisholm
    Product Safety Manager
    Mercury Marine

• 3.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 04-20-2020 02:50 PM
    This is a great question. In the absence of public outreach events, how will we reach the recreational boaters who are hitting our waterways? We have updated our Safe Boating Campaign website with critical information including where boating and fishing is allowable, how to sanitize life jackets, and more. Additionally, we are packing our free resources right now, so we will be opening resources and preparing to ship in early May. These annual resources include Safe Boating Campaign swag and boating safety brochures. We will ship approximately 600 cases  - planning to go out in May as long as our partners are at addresses where they can receive them. 

Digital and social media are important pipelines this year, and our online marketing campaign is in full force. We will still have Wear Your Life Jacket to Work Day - even if you are working remotely (May 15). Please link the Safe Boating Campaign Facebook and Instagram page as we are boosting posts. Our team is working with marine enforcement to provide signage at heavily used launch areas; please email me if you have a sign request. 

Here are a few links on our Safe Boating Campaign page that may be useful:
    https://safeboatingcampaign.com/resources/
    https://safeboatingcampaign.com/news/boating-access-updates/
    https://safeboatingcampaign.com/news/boating-access-updates/
    https://safeboatingcampaign.com/news/tips-for-navigating-social-distancing-restrictions-while-boating/

If you need more resources, please email me or call: pphillips@safeboatingcouncil.org 703-403-1598

Peg Phillips
    National Safe Boating Council

• 4.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 05-14-2020 10:57 AM

The nonprofit Sea Tow Foundation has developed a media kit with daily social media posts, images and blog posts as well as a weekly topic. And, we have changed some of our focus due to COVID to encourage options that can be done at home or on the water because the national landscape is so different from state to state. Some locations are still locked down and at home while others are under minimal or no restrictions, so we wanted to make sure we addressed topics for both. All of the materials are free and available to be used.

We've also had 3 recent blog posts on how to think about boating while staying at home. These have been fun and I'd encourage anyone to share them.

1. Books to read about boating
    2. Boating songs playlist
    3. Exercising with a life jacket at home

Gail Kulp
    Executive Director
    Sea Tow Foundation
    gail@boatingsafety.com
    631-876-5077 (office/cell)

• 5.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 05-15-2020 08:27 AM
    Thanks Gail for sharing and great work.  I need help with your boating playlist...D'yer Mak'er?

Stacey Brown | Boating Safety Program Manager | Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries | 804-308-6114 | stacey.brown@dgif.virginia.gov

• 6.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 05-16-2020 08:50 AM
    Work or Play , Wear It

KIMG0211.JPG
    KIMG0209.JPG

--
    John M. Heinz, Past Chief
    Marine Emergency Team 21
    The Community Volunteer Fire Department
    of Bowleys Quarters and Vicinity, Inc.
    my cell 410-952-5700

• 7.  RE: Covid-19 and National Safe Boating Week 20020 Messaging

Posted 05-26-2020 10:39 AM
    Hey Stacey,
       Not sure how that one got in there - doesn't have anything to do with boating. But I still like the song and will put it on a personal play list. :)

Gail Kulp
    Executive Director
    Sea Tow Foundation
    gail@boatingsafety.com
    631-876-5077 (office/cell)