NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  How to improve Water Safety in the US

Posted 12-08-2021 12:20 AM

All,

Do you have specific or general recommendations for improving water safety in the US?
    At local, state, or national levels.

The World Health Organization recommends that all countries create a Water Safety Plan, but a number of nations do not have them. I'm serving in a committee, helping to develop the US national water safety plan. Various aspects are being considered: drowning prevention, PPE, boat-based rescue (my focus), data, gaps, etc.

Your input would be invaluable.

Thanks and happy holidays.

------------------------------
    Rob
    --
    MMC 100 ton Inland. B.A. M.A.
    Actively seeking work and training opportunities to serve in maritime safety & SAR, globally.
    Actively seeking small boat operations employment or training in any sector (38 ft or less, single prop outboard. Or pwcs. Willing to train for other vessel types)
    Available to volunteer for rescue boat teams. Familiar with rescue boats and gear in N.America, EU and UK.

Experience writing grants/proposals, training manuals & study guides.
    Webmaster & Dev., Journal of SAR.
    For hire: Basic boat crew duties. PWC safety and basic rescue ops. Classroom.

• 2.  RE: How to improve Water Safety in the US

Posted 12-09-2021 08:24 AM
    At NMFS, we're trying to advance recreational boaters awareness of protected species. One aspect of our approach is to recognize these species as potential hazards to safe boating operations. Not only can boats inflict lethal injuries to marine mammals, sea turtles, and sturgeon, but in some cases vessel strikes can also injure or eject passengers from their boats. We've already addressed these concerns as Basic Boating Core Standards issues. However, future considerations are warranted and appreciated.

H. Max Tritt
    Fishery Biologist
    Greater Atlantic Fisheries Office
    National Marine Fisheries Service 
    17 Godfrey Drive, Suite 1
    Orono, ME. 04473
    Tel: 207.866.3756

Max Tritt
    NMFS

• 3.  RE: How to improve Water Safety in the US

Posted 12-09-2021 09:31 AM
    Rob:

I just finished a YouTube on my channel (Scholedale Productions) that may be of some help. It is titled Safety Interpretation Accident Prevention and Barrier Analysis. Interpretation seeks to create understanding and appreciation. It is more than education or mere information. Also included in the video is the concept of "educational triage." It would be helpful to you because it helps to frame the approach by dividing messaging into three groups. There are those who receive the interpretive message who are behaving appropriately. Interpretive messaging reinforces their appropriate behavior. There are those who are acting inappropriately because they don't know better, but if provided the information, they would attempt to act appropriately. Interpretive messaging helps to change their behavior. The third group refuses to change their inappropriate behavior regardless of whether they know what is appropriate or not. Law enforcement is an effective approach for this group. There is always the question of who decides what is the appropriate message, but that is an issue for another discussion.

The YouTube is titled: Safety Interpretation Accident Prevention and Barrier Analysis. Its location is...  https://youtu.be/D23YAPgnMdU

Anyway, something to consider.

rbk

Robert Kauffman
    Professor and Chair, CUSF
    Frostburg State University

• 4.  RE: How to improve Water Safety in the US

Posted 12-10-2021 11:02 AM
    Rob, 

The Water Sports Foundation is a non-profit US Coast Guard grant recipient now in its eleventh year.  We are currently managing 10 outreach projects worth $1.385 million.  Since 2011 we have managed 41 projects worth $9.5 million and we've produced more than 200 USCG approved safety video PSAs, which you or anyone else is welcome to use. 

You can find most of our outreach videos on YouTube or on various media partners' Safety Landing Pages, such as BoatingSafetyMag.com, which has plenty of content in video and written article formats.  We also keep a some of the content on our website www.WaterSportsFoundation.com.

If you find something that you would like to use, please send a message to me at jim@watersportsfoundation.com and I'll get you the file via WeTransfer.com

All the best, 

JIM EMMONS
    Executive Director
    Boating Safety Educational Arm of WSIA
    407-719-8062

Former WSIA President
    Former U.S. Coast Guard NBSAC Chairman