NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-21-2020 09:52 AM
    All,

BoatU.S. is getting plenty of messages from boaters in states that have restrictions on boating. We are approaching this as a public health issue and not a boating issue.

My question to the state agencies in states that presently have restrictions is this (or anyone who cares to comment)--are you concerned about boating ramping up in your state? Or would it just be business as normal?

------------------------------
    Chris Edmonston
    President
    BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety & Clean Water

• 2.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-27-2020 01:24 PM
    Good morning Chris 

Arizona doesn't have restrictions for launch ramps that are open, but have closed down a number of ramps statewide. As of now it's business as usual. We just advise them to be cautious and to practice the same precautions the CDC recommends.

Danny Rodriguez
    Boating Law Administer
    Arizona Game and Fish Department

• 3.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-28-2020 09:08 AM

How about Florida?  I heard some beaches have reopened.  What about recreational boaters and marinas?  I need to move my 36 foot Silverton down there soon.

James Crawford

Capt, USCG (Ret.)

• 4.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-28-2020 11:00 AM
    And this would be business as usual...
    Katherine's Landing, Lake Mohave

Josh Hoffman
    AZ Game & Fish Dept
    Boat Safety Education Program Coordinator
    (623) 236-7258
    PhoenixAZ

• 5.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-28-2020 11:52 AM
    Being on the Colorado River, with Neighboring jurisdictions that have restrictions in place (California, Colorado River Indian tribe) we have seen a definite increase in the numbers of boats this season.  Activity began earlier than usual and with the triple temperatures this past weekend our launch ramps were crowded.  Az State parks has been trying to limit numbers to a socially responsible level, but people are taking to social media to express their frustration and anger and clogging up other ramps with less oversight.

DEANNA PFLEGER | REGION 4 WILDLIFE MANAGER SUPERVISOR

ARIZONA GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT

OFFICE: 928.342.0091

MOBILE: 928.916.2004

EMAIL: dpfleger@azgfd.gov

azgfd.gov | 9140 E. 28th Street, Yuma, AZ 85365

Join our new Conservation Membership program and ensure a wildlife legacy for the future. 

• 6.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-28-2020 11:57 AM
    That's a concern of ours--some ramps get closed and the ones that are open become jammed with frustrated boaters.

I know the city ramp in Annapolis uses Park Mobile to pay for access. Would electronic payment options be a way to open ramps that are closed due to staffing concerns?

Chris Edmonston
    President
    BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety & Clean Water

• 7.  RE: Marine Patrol resources during quarantine

Posted 04-29-2020 07:48 AM
    Add into the equation that many access points have AIS inspection and decontamination restrictions which are staff-centric.

Matthew Wienold
    ABYC