NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Single Officer Boat Patrol

Posted 07-02-2021 11:29 AM

I'm looking of any documented studies/statistics, policies regarding the Pros vs Cons of Single Officer Boat/Marine Patrol

OFFICER DENNIS IRWIN #105

MARINE SERVICES UNIT

CITY OF LAKE STEVENS

LAKE STEVENS POLICE DEPARTMENT

1825 S. Lake Stevens Road, Lake Stevens, WA 98258

Phone: 425-622-9401 Fax: 425-334-9842   

Cell: 425-512-5288     

Web: www.lakestevenswa.gov/police

"We serve the Lake Stevens community, by enhancing public safety and quality of life, through professional police services, organizational excellence, and community interaction."

NOTICE:  All emails and attachments sent to and from Lake Stevens are public records and may be subject to disclosure pursuant to the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56).

• 2.  RE: Single Officer Boat Patrol

Posted 07-15-2021 04:30 PM

Officer Irwin,

I am not aware of any studies that focus on the pros or cons to single officer boat patrols. Texas officers regularly patrol in single man application for smaller patrol vessels and for larger waters or large patrol vessel we operate in a two or more officer configuration. Multi-officer patrols are also preferred when focusing on Boating under the influence enforcement but aren't required. Should you be so lucky to find a study focused on the best approach to maritime patrol officer assignments I would be most interest.

Best Regards and Stay Safe,

------------------------------
    Cody Jones
    Boating Law Administrator
    Asst. Commander Game Warden
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
    512-389-4624 Office
    512-431-1326 cell
    cody.jones@tpwd.texas.gov

Texas Game Wardens Serving Texans since 1895 - Law Enforcement off the Pavement

• 3.  RE: Single Officer Boat Patrol

Posted 01-04-2022 03:13 PM
    New Mexico is similarly interested in any information or model policies relating to single officer boat patrols.  We do not have a policy for this, but do recognize the complexity of tasking a single operator with simultaneously managing for vessel stops, boat tows, etc.  It seems that the tradeoff for increased safety in having a second officer aboard would come at the cost of fewer on-the-water patrol hours.  I'd also be interested if any agency has created or uses a decision matrix to help decide whether a single or multi-officer configuration should be used before beginning a particular mission.

Scott Chalmers
    RBS Coordinator
    New Mexico State Parks

• 4.  RE: Single Officer Boat Patrol

Posted 01-05-2022 08:59 AM
    When I worked at AZ Game and Fish, we didn't have any sort of policy on minimum number of officers required for a WC patrol; it really came down to 2 considerations: 1-what body of water was being patrolled for what kind of "mission" (i.e., waterfowl patrol, fishing patrol on a small lake, or summer patrols looking for OUI's), and what the level of experience the officer possesses. 

Obviously like you mentioned briefly, there are a slew of pros and cons with working 1 or 2 per boat, so it sounds to me like it's an individual agency decision on whether or not to put a policy in writing or leave it to discretion. 

Trooper Jes Antolik, #10226

Arizona Department of Public Safety

Firearms Training Unit