NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-12-2020 05:49 PM

Hello All,

We are in the conceptual stage of moving to external carriers for our armed Harbor Patrol Officers. One of the challenges is how to use the external carrier and a PFD at the same time when they are on the water.

My question is for any department that already uses external carriers and how they've navigated that specific issue. Specific product recommendations or examples of verbiage in policy or procedures would be helpful also.

Thanks everyone! Stay safe!

Matt

• 2.  RE: External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-13-2020 06:35 PM

Hey Matt-

At my previous agency, where I'd do a fair amount of boat patrol during the summer, I'd ditch the external carrier and go with the internal. When our uniform changed to allow the use of external carriers, I tried a couple of times to patrol in the external carrier, but there was just too much bulk on top to maneuver around the boat with the external vest under an inflatable PFD. On top of that, accessing the gear on the vest was difficult with the PFD over top of it. From memory, it seemed as if most of the officers I worked with found the same issue and went "slick top" when doing watercraft patrol (we were fortunate that we could wear different types of uniforms as we saw fit). I think it was Mustang that made a PFD integrated with a load bearing (non-ballistic) vest, but personally I didn't like the idea that for whatever reason you had to take off the PFD, you'd loose the vest with all the gear attached all at once. 

Jes

------------------------------
    Jes Antolik
    Trooper
    AZDPS

• 3.  RE: External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-14-2020 10:36 AM
    Before I retired we went to Blauer external vest carriers that looked like a BDU Uniform shirt. I liked it much better as it allowed a little air under the vest. It is no different with a pfd and a standard shirt/vest under configuration, but it seemed to me to be quite a bit more comfortable.

Rich Waite
    KY Fish & Wildlife Retired

• 4.  RE: External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-15-2020 07:54 AM
    Check out the amphibious marine molle carrier from First Spear. We have used this vest now for over two years some using plates and some using soft armor in the carrier.​ This gives the officer plenty of choices of how to set up the carrier with his or her equipment. The vest has buoyancy co2 inflatable flotation built in into the cumberbund. Many options with this carrier.  

Robert Ponevac
    Deputy
    Broward Sheriffs Office

• 5.  RE: External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-15-2020 09:37 AM
    I've used PECI flotation systems in the past. Highly reccomend them. I would strongly reccomend a tear away armor system when on the water.

http://www.tacfloat.com/products/auto-tfss

Jerry Minchew
    U.S. Coast Guard

• 6.  RE: External Carriers, PFDs and Armed Harbor/Marine/Lake Patrol Officers

Posted 06-16-2020 07:49 AM
    Were using a plate carrier with a mustang inflatable connected to it. We have tested it numerous times with positive results.

P.O. Steven Finley
    NYPD Harbor Unit
    Cell: (917) 225-0344
    Office: (718) 765-4153