NASBLA Roundtable

View Only

LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

• 1.  LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-24-2022 12:12 AM
    Hello, everyone,

I hope all is well. I am looking to develop a program on Guam that offers "loaner" lifejackets to users of public waterways. I have seen in some jurisdictions these stands that offer lifejackets of all sizes to those who feel they could use one when in the waters. After use, the user would return the lifejacket to the respective station it was borrowed from. Is there anyone out there who has an already established program such as this one, or is in the developmental stages of their own program? I would appreciate any feedback!!

Thanks much,

Mark Torre, Lieutenant
    Guam BLA
    Guam Police Department
    Mobile Ph: (671) 687-3025
    Work Ph: (671) 472-8911

• 2.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-25-2022 08:02 AM
    Mark

Check the BoatU.S. Foundation the have that program in place for at least 20 Years now.
    Hope this helps

Capt George E Campanile
    TowBoaU.S Cape May/Maurice River NJ
    Sent from Windows Mail

• 3.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-31-2022 02:55 AM
    Hafa Adai (Greetings from Guam), Captain Campanile!

Thank you so much for the information about Boat U.S. Foundation.  I will be sure to look into their program.  Again, thanks!

Be well and stay safe,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Torre
    LT
    Guam Police Dept

• 4.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 04-01-2022 01:25 PM
    The Alaska Kids Don't float program has spread like wildfire and is now present at every single recreational boat ramp.  The only notable change is that now Life Perseveres are hanging in all sizes for those in need.  Here is an article written by Jeff Johnson, Alaska BLA from the Office of Boating Safety.  We are a far cry from Guam, but this is how it starts!

www.uscg.mil/proceedings Fall–Winter 2016 Proceedings 21 Later, as we worked to get legislation passed and to establish a boating safety program in Alaska, some ...

Jake
    ><((((º>¸..´¯`·><((((º>¸.·´¯

Jake Schlapfer
    State Safety Manager
    Watercraft Safety Lead
    BLM-Alaska

Work (907) 271-6370

Cell (907) 240-5420

Luck runs out, but safety is good for life.

• 5.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-25-2022 09:22 AM

Hi Mark,
       The Sea Tow Foundation has had a life jacket loaner program since 2008 and have loaner stations in all 50 states. Our application period has closed (it is open Nov 1-Feb 1), but you can submit a request in our online waiting list and be notified when life jackets are available or the application opens next fall. There is no cost to apply and no cost to receive life jackets. We work with American Samoa's Michelle Foster and have established a number of stands there.

Feel free to reach out with any questions,
    Gail Kulp
    Sea Tow Foundation

Executive Director

888-276-7691
    gkulp@seatow.com

Gail Kulp
    Executive Director
    Sea Tow Foundation
    gail@boatingsafety.com
    631-876-5077 (office/cell)

• 6.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-28-2022 10:27 PM

The US Coast Guard Auxiliary in many locations have supported Life Jacket Loaner stands.  Some were Boy Scout Eagle Scout projects that were then turned over to Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotillas to maintain.  The 2 Flotillas in NE South Carolina along the grand strand in Horry and Georgetown Counties maintain at least 5 PFD Loaner Stations. 

Keeping them neatly maintained can be an issue, because sometimes the returned PFDs are just dropped on the ground, plus the Stands do need to be refurbished with life jackets as they wear out or are lost.

Jack H. Margolis

US Coast Guard Auxiliary

Flotilla 070-12-10 Georgetown

Flotilla Commander

FSO-SR/FSO-CM/FSO-MS

410-610-1849 (C)

843-236-1099 (H)

• 7.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-31-2022 03:00 AM
    Hafa Adai (Greetings from Guam), Gail!

Thank you so much for the information about Sea Tow Foundation.  I will be sure to look into the program.  It's nice to know you have an established program with another U.S. Territory.  Again, thanks!

Be well and stay safe,

Mark

Mark Torre
    LT
    Guam Police Dept

• 8.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-25-2022 11:14 AM
    Mark,
    We have a loaner program here in Nevada. I'd be happy to put you in touch with my boating education coordinator for sharing the details of our program. bbowles@ndow.org

Brian

Brian Bowles
    Game Warden Captain
    Boating Law Administrator
    NV Dept of Wildlife
    (775) 688-1598 desk

• 9.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-31-2022 03:04 AM
    Hafa Adai (Greetings from Guam), Captain Bowles!

Thank you so much for the information about your program in Nevada.  I will take you up on that offer.  Please do put me in touch with your boating education coordinator.  Again, thanks!

Be well and stay safe,

Mark

Mark Torre
    LT
    Guam Police Dept

• 10.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-28-2022 11:14 AM
    Wisconsin has an established program.  We have about 150 loaner life jacket stations around the state.  Basically we partner with different user groups who agree to maintain the station for a minimum of two years.  We provide the group with the building plans for the kiosks, a sign board with their logo, our logo the Wear It logo, etc.  and numerous PFDs that are all screen printed with DNR Loaner Life Jacket to try to avoid theft.  The group provides the building materials and constructs the kiosks, They maintain the kiosk and PFDs during the boating season and clean and store the PFDs during the winter so they aren't left out all winter.  Feel free to reach out direct if you would like any additional information.  

Darren Kuhn
    Wisconsin BLA

Darren Kuhn
    Conservation Warden
    WI Dept. Natural Resources

• 11.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-31-2022 03:10 AM
    Hafa Adai (Greetings from Guam), Warden Kuhn!

Thank you so much for the information about your program in Wisconsin.  I would be interested in learning more about it.  If it's not too much trouble, please direct me to your program manager or any other available resource that would be helpful.  Again, thanks!

Be well and stay safe,

Mark

Mark Torre
    LT
    Guam Police Dept

• 12.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-28-2022 02:36 PM
    Hi Lt Torre,
    California has had a life jacket loaner stations for many years, we have over 100 loaner stations in a variety of options and partners.  Please visit our website at www.dbw.ca.gov for more information or you can reach out to Vivian Matuk at Vivian.matuk@parks.ca.gov or Sara.Kennedy@parks.ca.gov.  Good luck, and let us know if we can help in any way.  

Ramona Fernandez
    Boating Law Administrator
    CA State Parks, Div of Boating & Waterways

• 13.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-31-2022 03:13 AM
    Hafa Adai (Greetings from Guam), Ramona!

Thank you so much for the information about your program in California.  I will be sure to take a look at the website for more on it.  Thanks too for the points of contact in Vivian and Sara!

Be well and stay safe,

Mark

Mark Torre
    LT
    Guam Police Dept

• 14.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-29-2022 09:37 AM

Hi Mark,

BoatUS Foundation has been partnering with organizations to offer the Life Jacket Loaner Program for over 25 years. On our website you can read about how our program works - https://www.boatus.org/life-jacket-loaner/. You can also download a comprehensive guide on how to start your own loaner program in your area. We include downloadable education and promotional materials for free. When you do set up your program, make sure you let us know so we can include you on our nationwide map of loaner programs. Anyone who hosts a loaner site can be included on the map and we have over 1000 sites listed. We're about to launch some cool new features to loaner sites on our map, so stay tuned! If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,

Alanna

Alanna Keating

Director of Outreach | BoatUS Foundation

800-245-2628 ext. 8354 | www.boatus.org

image001.png@01D5CB9F.57DEDE80

====================
    This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
    recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
    Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
    email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
    destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.

• 15.  RE: LIFEJACKET LOANER STATION PROGRAMS

Posted 03-29-2022 11:08 AM

Good Morning Mark!

Your counterpart in Alaska, BLA Joe McCullough provides the administration for a very strong lifejacket loaner program and you can find more information here Office of Boating Safety Boating Safety (alaska.gov) or give Joe a call direct at (907) 269-8704.

Mike Folkerts

USCG D17