NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-17-2021 04:14 PM
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any official guidance on whether a Canadian citizen bringing her Canadian pleasurecraft into US waters is required to have a US boater ed class?  Or, will their Canadian boater ed class cover them? 

Also, looking for any official guidance on required safety equipment. Canada and US differ on those requirements.  Canada has a rule that US vessels in Canadian waters for 45 days or less, need only comply with their home requirements. But, I cannot find any guidance on whether the US extends similar coutesey to our Canadian cousins.

------------------------------
    Robert Rice
    Rice and Associates PC

• 2.  RE: Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-18-2021 08:03 AM

The Canada Boat Ed Course is recognized by the United States Coast Guard as meeting the standards of the National Recreational Boating Safety Program.

Livingston 

• 3.  RE: Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-18-2021 11:14 AM

Mr. Gatfield's note below has a copy of the MOU between Transport Canada and NASBLA.  But that is not quite the same thing as the US Coast Guard recognizing it, or the states actually agreeing to recognize. 

Can you point me to any official guidance on this? 

I'm teaching some boating safety courses to a cruising club that includes both US and Canadian boaters, so want to get the details correct. 

Robert 

Robert Rice
    Rice and Associates PC

• 4.  RE: Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-18-2021 08:21 AM
      |   view attached

Attached is the MOU between NSABLA and Transport Canada Marine Safety.  In it is defined the acknowledgement level of the Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) acceptance in the IUS. Please read through the entire document (only 4 pages).

Ask if you have further questions.  I cannot answer the second part of your question regarding what happens to a Canadian vessel in US waters regarding safety equipment although I live in a border city and generally anyone ever stopped by US Authorities has not had issues if they have had the proper safety equipment required in Canada for that vessel....but is that the law or regulation, I do not know.

Joe

Joseph Gatfield, JN

Past Chief Commander – Ex-commandant en chef

External Relations – Relations extérieures

Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons

Escadrilles canadiennes de plaisance

(O) 519-966-1781 (C) 519-257-0559

Email: joegatfield@bell.net

www.cpsboat.ca   www.boatingcourses.ca

Attachment(s)

pdf
    CPS MOU TC and NASBLA.pdf   346 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-18-2021 11:15 AM
    Sir, 
    Thanks for this, quite helpful. 

Still on the hunt for any official guidance about whether USCG will recognize the Canadian safe boater card or whether Canadian boaters must worry about complying with the US list of required safety equipment, or if compliance with the home requirements will suffice for a period of time. 

Robert 

Robert Rice
    Rice and Associates PC

• 6.  RE: Canadian safe boaters courses - recognized for US boater ed requirements?

Posted 01-18-2021 11:04 AM
    I'd suggest you check with specific jurisdiction (state) in which you'll be boating. The contacts for the education and enforcement staff can be found through this link.

While the US Coast Guard may recognize a Canadian course, that doesn't necessarily mean a state always may.

Fair winds,
    Ed

Sent from my iPhone
    www.boatcapted.com 
    602-363-9395