NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-24-2020 11:09 AM
    Question from our State Emergency Operations Center regarding PFD disinfection protocols during flood rescues when we have a mixture of isolated-COVID+ and isolated-COVID– residents.

Need to know the cleaning/disinfecting options for our Warden PFDs and for the PFDs we provide to those residents being rescued. Wisconsin Wardens use the Mustang swift water rescue vests and the auto (obviously not during flood situations) or manual inflatables. In most flood rescue situations our Wardens will be using the swift water rescue vest.

Can we use a spray disinfectant on the PFDs or will that comprise the materials? The only thing I am finding is don't use bleach or fabric softener.

Thanks for your quick response.

------------------------------
    Penny Kanable, Boating Law Administrator
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

• 2.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-25-2020 10:26 AM
    Good morning Penny, I reached out to our friends at FirstWatch and asked what their recommendation was for your question.  

I asked, "We had a question from one of our agencies asking about disinfecting PFDs for their officers and gear with the ongoing Covid-19 situation.  Does FirstWatch have a recommended disinfecting process that won't harm the life jacket?  I am assuming a Lysol type aerosol spray that does not contain bleach, followed by regular washing?"

Here is their reply:

You are correct – mild 'over the counter' spray disinfectants should be fine. The materials used in PFDs are consistent with most sports equipment – so surface sprays that do not saturate the fabrics can be used. Also the sun is natures way of disinfecting – however extended periods of sun exposure will degrade the fabric.

Machine washing is most effective – use a gentle cycle, front loading washer, liquid detergent and cold water. Make sure all Velcro and straps are fastened before washing to avoid damage through the wash cycle. Hang to dry in a well ventilated area. They will look and feel like new!

Properly storing PFDs on board is most important! Moisture is the enemy. Do not store wet. Always make sure PFDs are protected from the elements. Sustained sun and rain will rot materials and compromise strength.

Flotation coats and suits can also be machine washed on a gentle cycle – (cold water). Make sure Velcro and straps are fastened before washing to avoid damage through the cycle. Hang to dry in a well ventilated area. These can take a couple days to thoroughly dry. They will feel like new.

Inflatable PFDs require extra attention. The 'over the counter' sprays are effective in managing bacteria - do not machine wash. A hand scrub of the cover and webbing with dish detergent and water is sufficient. Do not immerse the vest in water as this will deploy the inflation system. Drying and storing moisture management is very important. Make sure the inflatable PFDs are dried and stored properly in a well ventilated area not exposed to the elements.

Always check the PFD inflator shows GREEN – for armed and ready. Bobbins must be replaced before 4 years of manufacturing (date is marked on the side of the yellow bobbin) – refer to your owners manual. We suggest replacement every 1-2 years in hot humid climates.

Note – we can not advise for the Mustang HIT inflatable PFDs (round yellow inflator) inflatable PFDS – please refer to the Mustang Survival owners manual.  

I hope this helps!

V/R
    Dave

Dave Considine
    BOAT Program Director
    NASBLA
    Cell (978) 314-1839
    Office Direct (859) 225-7375

• 3.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-26-2020 08:41 AM
    ​Penny,

To add to Dave and the fine people at First Watch's answers, We use Simple Green d Pro 3 Plus for major decontamination issues. The issue I have with any of those products is they state that it kills 99.9% of germs on NON-POROUS Surfaces. But we usually clean our PFD's and Dry suits and dry them in the sun after a real good fresh water rinsing.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Lawrence Furlong
    LTC
    PA Fish and Boat Commission

• 4.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-25-2020 10:31 AM
    I am thinking , touch base with the manufacturer first. Ask them what known disinfectants will not degrade the fabrics and components .

--
    John M. Heinz, Past Chief
    Marine Emergency Team 21
    The Community Volunteer Fire Department
    of Bowleys Quarters and Vicinity, Inc.
    my cell 410-952-5700

• 5.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-25-2020 02:08 PM

Here's very helpful information.

Recommendations based on CDC/Red Cross.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/environmental/background/laundry.html

• COVID-19 virus may exist 3 days clothing.  Virus can exist long on porous surfaces.
    • Polyester may harbor virus longer than cotton.
    • Plastic and metal surfaces offer longest surface survival.
    • Zippers hard to clean due crevasses and metal/plastic construct.
    • Frequent laundry advised of garments; ideally, launder every use.
    • Wash machine ideally or hand washed gloved hands – wash as hot as possible to kill virus.
    • Don't machine launder inflatables - hand wash and ensure they're disarmed first
    • For a list of disinfectants to use in laundry processes Ref: CDC and Red Cross - no specific cleaner recommended.
    • Drying hot is ideal but some of our products can't tumble dry - must be hung.  Ensure complete drying is critical, heated air drying is encouraged < 60C
    • Virus likes moisture and can survive in cold – virus dies by drying out and by heat, which some fibers can enhance.
    • Use our websites current instruction but add "as hot as possible". Ideally, near 60C water.  Be careful of burns if hand washing.
    • This pandemic is a new challenge and it is truly not know how all materials response to virus and laundry
    • Please error on safety and over wash.
    • If hang drying, allow 3 days before reuse.
    • Do not share garments

Steve Chambers

Mustang Survival  / WING Group

Business Development

1215 Old Fairhaven Parkway

Suite "C"

Bellingham, WA  98225

Direct:  360-676-9179

Cell:       360-961-8807

Office:  800-526-0532

Fax:       360-676-5014

schambers@mustangsurvival.com

www.mustangsurvival.com

• 6.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-26-2020 08:45 AM
    Thanks everybody, I knew I could count on you!  ​

Penny Kanable, Boating Law Administrator
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

• 7.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-26-2020 09:26 AM
    Which one is it??? Hot or Cold - looks like conflicting advice..

Advice A: "use... liquid detergent and cold water"
    or
    Advice B: "...wash as hot as possible to kill virus"

I'm not saying either one is wrong but is there a possibility of coming up with a consensus for a consistent decontamination process for PFD's?

Lt. Mark Brown
    Boating Law Administrator
    Oklahoma Highway Patrol Marine Enforcement Section
    Oklahoma City, OK USA

• 8.  RE: PFD DISINFECTING SOLUTIONS

Posted 03-26-2020 07:23 PM
      |   view attached

Passing this on from Stearns. Please feel free to distribute.

Be Safe out there !

Jeff Gayer
    National Sales Manager
    The Coleman Company