NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  CO looking at purchasing Boating Skills Virtual Trainer

Posted 12-30-2019 12:52 PM
    Greetings all from Colorado,
      Colorado Parks and Wildlife is considering purchasing the Boating Skills Virtual Trainer from Virtual Driver Interactive (https://www.driverinteractive.com/boating-skills-virtual-trainer/). I was first introduced to this virtual trainer at IBWSS and at least wanted to explore the introduction in our state. Virtual Driver Interactive states that there are at least 5 other states using this program. I was hoping that anyone could give me advice if this was worth the investment and your thoughts of the program. Was this virtual driver simulator easy to take to events and what was the public feedback?

------------------------------
    Thank you,
    Jim Hawkins
    Boating Safety Education Coordinator / Investigator
    Colorado Parks and Wildlife
    13787 South Highway 85
    Littleton, CO 80125
    Jim.Hawkins@state.co.us

• 2.  RE: CO looking at purchasing Boating Skills Virtual Trainer

Posted 12-31-2019 11:44 AM

Hey Jim, I would suggest that you make contact with Tammy Brown, Marketing Manager for the United States Power Squadrons/America's Boating Club (Raleigh, NC).  USPS is who demonstrated the Virtual Trainer at the IBWSS. USPS has about 18 of them nationally and could offer you a discounted pricing on the Trainer as they have a very good relationship with the developer as USPS has worked with the developer to make significant enhancements to the trainers.

Here is Tammy's contact information and let her know that I sent you her way.

Tammy Brown – (888) 367-8777 ext. 228 (or) brownt@hq.usps.org

Happy New Year!!

John

• 3.  RE: CO looking at purchasing Boating Skills Virtual Trainer

Posted 01-01-2020 10:37 AM
    Hi Jim,
    I have used the trainer many times at local boat shows. it did not get the attention I was hoping for, kids loved it but adults did not seem to take it to seriously. it was however a great toll to get the kids to play on it then I had the parents waiting on them so i was able to talk with them about boater safety. I am with Americas Boating Club and the cost to us is just the shipping to get the trainer to us. It is a bit cumbersome to set up and difficult to see outside, you have to have it indoors and we had three computer screens to it, the newer ones I believe have one curved screens and possibly easier to set up.

Cdr Shawn Goit JN-ON

Shawn Goit
    Americas Boating Club