NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Aquatic Invasive Species Issues During COVID-19

Posted 04-02-2020 05:11 PM
    Good afternoon.  Wyoming is one of the fortunate states that does not have waters with confirmed quagga or zebra mussels.  We are trying to keep it that way by inspecting all watercraft that enter the state for aquatic invasive species (AIS).  Some discussion is taking place within our agency about how we should approach AIS inspections of boats during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The ice is coming off our lakes and as fishing picks up later this month and into May, we will likely see our typical influx of nonresident boaters (unless there is a complete travel ban).  So far, our waterways remain open to boating and recreation and I don't see that changing here.  I'm interested in some feedback from those of you with AIS inspection/decontamination programs.

Have you discontinued or limited AIS inspections in your state or local jurisdictions?
    Have you made any changes to your standard inspection/decontamination protocols?  If so, what are you doing differently?
    What, if any, PPE and guidance are you providing to your AIS inspection staff?

Any information you can share is appreciated.  Thanks and stay safe!

Aaron

------------------------------
    Aaron Kerr
    Law Enforcement Coordinator
    Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    307-233-6413

• 2.  RE: Aquatic Invasive Species Issues During COVID-19

Posted 04-03-2020 01:42 PM
      |   view attached
    Hey,

I have attached the plan that we have adapted at Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland, Colorado. We have continued all boating throughout the state. Some of the private lakes have discontinued inspections and boating but the state parks all remain open.

Other procedures that we are following is having the boater lower motors and open all compartments and then wait in their vehicles while the inspectors complete the inspection of the boat. 

If you would like any more information feel free to contact me. 

Charlee Olson
    Park Ranger- Colorado Parks and Wildlife
    970-669-1739 ext. 15
    charlee.olson@state.co.us

Charlee Olson
    Colorado Parks And Wildlife

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Aquatic Invasive Species Issues During COVID-19

Posted 04-03-2020 02:48 PM
    Aaron,

Here is what our AIS coordinator relayed to me:
    Currently we are pushing all of our Decons to our contractors. We are doing everything we can to keep our staff safe during this time. If our contractors begin to not be able to field all voluntary deconcantaminations in our state we will need to determine what is more important, staff safety or deconing boats. Hopefully we do not need to make that decision considering some of our most recreated lake ramps are being closed to boaters. We hope this will slow down the need for boaters to get decontamination services from the Department. As new problems arise we will come up with solutions as needed. For now, nothing is more important than keeping our staff and their families safe. 
    Bryant 
    --
    BRYANT DICKENS AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES COORDINATOR

ARIZONA GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT

OFFICE: 623.236.7271

EMAIL: bdickens@azgfd.gov

azgfd.gov | 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086

Josh Hoffman
    AZ Game & Fish Dept
    Boat Safety Education Program Coordinator
    (623) 236-7258