NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Rowing PFDs

Posted 08-04-2021 10:20 AM
    Can we revisit the pre-emption of state law in 33CFR175 and the exemption for rowers in "racing shells?"

The cold-water rowing conditions in NY, CT, IL, IA and many other states are extremely dangerous, there is no meaningful way to distinguish between racing shells and recreational rowing shells, there are plenty of modern PFDs on the market suitable for rowing, and there is no justification for the federal pre-emption of state boating regulations in this matter. We continue to witness needless drownings because rowers are taught that they shouldn't wear PFDs and as the number of rowers grow we can expect to see more rowers drown in cold water until the regulation is amended.

Marc Messing
    RowSafeUSA.Org

------------------------------
    Marc Messing
    RowSafeUSA

• 2.  RE: Rowing PFDs

Posted 08-05-2021 10:27 PM
    Greetings,

With the USCG adoption of standard UL 12402-5 there is now the ability to have level 50 recreational PFDs approved only when worn.  These devices have reduced bulk due to having reduced buoyancy requirements compared to the more historically traditional Type III recreational PFDs.  I am not sure how many of this kind of device are approved at this time since the UL 12402-5 standard is relatively new.

It seems like it may be time to change the requirements for rowing.

Cheers,

Jack Davis
    Takashina USA

• 3.  RE: Rowing PFDs

Posted 08-08-2021 12:04 AM
    Marc et al,

I believe I have jumped the gun with the above statement.  While the level 50 UL 12402-5 standard has been published I believe that the CFR has not been revised to allow them to be made with USCG approval.  I believe the CFR update is in the works but I don't know when it will be completed.  Sorry for the confusion.

Jack

Jack Davis
    Takashina USA

• 4.  RE: Rowing PFDs

Posted 08-09-2021 05:00 PM
    Please don't apologize for the confusion, that's USCG's responsibility, not yours. I appreciate your response and will try to keep up with proposed changes. Marc

Marc Messing
    RowSafeUSA