RBS State Grant Program

New State RBS Grant Program Guide

• 1.  New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 02-26-2020 03:55 PM
      |   view attached
    Attached is the [draft] State Recreational Boating Safety Grant Program Guide that the U.S. Coast Guard's Boating Safety Division released this morning at the State RBS Workshop in Lexington, Kentucky. 

Verne Gifford, Chief of the Boating Safety Division has asked for folks to review this document and ask any questions or provide any suggestions/input.  

Thanks

------------------------------
    Ron Sarver
    Chief, Knowledge & Learning Management Systems
    National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

• 2.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-06-2020 03:56 PM
      |   view attached
    ​All,

Attached is the State RBS Grant Program COMDTPUB P16755.3B with my comments included. Sorry for the delayed response but working from home has given me the time to dedicate to this important document. I would encourage others to do a good review of the document as well since it will become the scorecard for which your program will be graded on.

Stay Safe and Stay Home if you can,

Cody Jones
    Boating Law Administrator
    Asst. Commander Game Warden
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.

Texas Game Wardens Serving Texans since 1895 - Law Enforcement off the Pavement

• 3.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-10-2020 06:10 PM
      |   view attached
    This is a very long - but important read.  I have cheated just a little here.  I've taken Cody's marked up document and added my own comments to areas where I have questions or concerns. I concur with most of Cody's comments as well as adding additional questions of my own in some instances.  My comments are linked to the the orange highlights.

Wash Your Hands!!

Lt. Mark Brown
    Oklahoma Highway Patrol Marine Enforcement Section

Lt. Mark Brown
    Oklahoma Highway Patrol Marine Enforcement Section
    Oklahoma City, OK USA

• 4.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-11-2020 09:36 AM
    Thank you Mark and Cody and all who will undertake the challenge of reading this document. I appreciate your time on this. Verne

• 5.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-14-2020 11:47 AM
      |   view attached
    Thanks to Verne Gifford for affording the opportunity to review and comment on this State RBS Grant Program COMDTPUB. Attached is my two cents worth. Following in Mark's virtual footsteps (six feet behind, of course), I worked from his version, which incorporated Cody's initial comments. Appreciation to both of them for sharing their insightful feedback .... I nodded my head "yes" so many times my neck hurts :-)

While Cody and Mark used yellow and orange highlighting, respectively, I used blue to denote areas where I've made comments. Some signal typos or inconsistent use of terms; others are more substantive. In some cases, especially with regard to the reporting of marine casualties, I opted to make liberal use of the "reply" feature on comments that Cody or Mark made (to reinforce or to add more information / suggestions) instead of adding more comment boxes.

Stay safe, all.
    Deb

Deb Gona
    NASBLA Research Consultant
    Gona & Associates

• 6.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-14-2020 02:55 PM
    One good use of this document is to support the BLA's in their struggle with administration personnel that don't understand what it is they do and how they have to work in several avenues to keep the agency in compliance.
    The 25% reduction of funding is found near the end in the enforcement of the program.  Once finalized, this may be important to move the needle for some BLA's within their agencies.  The formulas are interesting, I am pretty sure we can meet the requirements, but will be good knowledge for officers, so they understand why they are asked to do what they do.
    Major Dan Hesket
    Kansas BLA

Dan Hesket
    Major
    KS Dept of Wildlife & Parks

• 7.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-15-2020 10:22 AM
      |   view attached
    I agree with the comments that both Cody and Mark made in this document.  It is a good starting point and I added a few comments and questions from the perspective of a newer BLA.  This looks like it is a good start but there are quite a few things that still need to be addressed.  I have attached my comments along with the others in this version.  Stay safe and see you all later.

Jeff

Jeff Clauson
    Assistant Administrator
    Nebraska Game and Parks Commission

• 8.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-29-2020 01:15 PM
      |   view attached
    My comments are attached.

Trevor Carbo
    Marine Division Commander
    VT State Police Marine Division

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-19-2020 12:46 PM
    I agree with the majority of the specific comments made by Ty, Cody, Dan and the other BLAs so I won't rehash those points.  I wanted to make two general statements that I think are important.

1) Performance measures and subsequent calculations in PRPII are based on the number of registered boats.  While intuitively this seems reasonable, it does not take into consideration the explosion of non-motorized vessels that is occurring in many states.  In Idaho, the percentage of non-motorized boats that are now inspected as part of LE vessel safety checks has jumped from 14%  in FY 2015 to 28.5% in FY 2019.  SUPs are extremely popular and plastic kayaks can be purchased brand new for under $200 at many large retailers.  In the last 10 years we have had 56 non-motorized fatalities and 52 motorized.  Non-motorized vessels are a huge burden despite the fact that this user group does not contribute to the Trust Fund.  Regardless, LE officers must still investigate accidents and respond to SAR events for non-motorized boaters.  None of this is adequately considered in PRPII and is a huge gap.

2) The state guidelines and PRPII handle all states the same and does not take into consideration the size and scope of individual state programs.  For example, it is completely unfair to expect to expect that our small program has the same opportunity to provide the amount of officer training similar to year-round state programs with dozens and dozen of officers solely dedicated to marine LE.  In Idaho, we are lucky if counties designate more that a couple officers as part-time marine deputies and many officers only work one boating season.  There is a tremendous amount of turnover and just because an officer is assigned to the marine unit one year that does not mean they will be involved the next year.  It is very difficult to get many officers through even basic training in some counties due to turnover and priorities of individual Sheriffs.

Dave Dahms
    BLA
    ID Dept of Parks & Recreation

• 10.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-15-2020 12:47 PM
      |   view attached
    Here are my comments.

Ty Hunter
    Boating Program Manager
    UT Div of Parks & Recreation

• 11.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-15-2020 05:42 PM
      |   view attached
    There's quite a few missing components in this document. As a new BLA, trying to wrap my head around the algorithms associated with the scoring system is mind boggling. The minimums, maximums, and selected numbers for these formulas can be confusing without more information to as why they were chosen. 

I had questions about Officer Initial Training (32 hours minimum). What exactly does that mean? Because it later says Continuing Ed. 

All of you have provided some great information thus far and I have added a few of my own. Perhaps it's just me, but it doesn't seem to be a living document we can all share/edit without having to save a separate PDF file right? I uploaded my few comments.

Stay safe out there folks!

Danny Rodriguez
    Boating Law Administer
    Arizona Game and Fish Department

Attachment(s)

pdf
    RBS grant review.pdf   1.04 MB 1 version

• 12.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-22-2020 05:03 PM

Ok everyone, or at least those that are reading this.
    According to Verne's last email, the USCG is interested in our comments.  I am one of those few that was around when the formula's were determined to measure the states effectiveness.
    This was one of my arguments then, and one I will make in this comment.

This relates to the effectiveness of Law Enforcement program and vessel inspections.
    The formula of C (number of vessel inspections or 4 X the number of citations) X 1200 / # of registered boats = P3

My issue then and today is what constitutes a valid vessel inspection.  Before I became a BLA we, officers in the field just turned in the number of boat checks we did every 2 weeks. Our Compliance was calculated at that number divided by the number of citations and written warnings.  Our compliance rating was around 89%.  
    As a field officer, I called B.S. on that number and when I became a BLA, I worked with a couple of college computer programmers and we came up with a data base and a method to collect vessel inspection information.  This required officers to record each vessel inspection and turn in the records weekly for data entry.  Only these data entries counted towards an officers annual inspection count.  The first year of doing this our compliance rating went from 89% to 49.8%, so tell me the old method was accurate.  Today we range around 55 to 56%.
    The data system takes into account that we are recording the vessel information.  If multiple citations, warnings, or arrest are made to the same boat, the system only counts it as one non-compliant boat.  Under the old method, you could have one boat with 5 violations and the old addition/division system skews the true results.

So here is my argument::  
    If my system of hard documentation for a more precise method to measure compliance results in a 38 number for measurement of effectiveness vs. the old method of exaggerated numbers which would have resulted in a 89.6 number for measurement of effectiveness, then why is my program being penalized as a less than effective program compared to a state that still does it the old way???

When looking at statistics and measurements, the method of collection should be standardized, or there should be correction factors.  I bet an analysis of variance to this would be insane on its +/- variance. Within 75% maybe???

Ok that is my rant???
    Stay safe and healthy.

Major Dan Hesket

Dan Hesket
    Major
    KS Dept of Wildlife & Parks

• 13.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 04-26-2020 07:28 PM
      |   view attached
    Verne Gifford with the Coast Guard Boating Safety Division asked me to pass along that they have extended the deadline on the State Guide review to 31 May. If you haven't commented yet, please download the attached document and give your comments and post back in this forum.

Thanks

Ron Sarver
    Chief, Knowledge & Learning Management Systems
    National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

• 14.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-26-2020 09:01 AM
      |   view attached
    Here are New York's comments.

Chris Fallon
    New York State Parks

• 15.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-26-2020 01:44 PM
      |   view attached
    Agree with Cody and Marks comments I've also added a couple.

StephanieWeatherington
    BLA
    AR Game & Fish Commission(501) 223-6379

• 16.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-26-2020 07:17 PM
      |   view attached
    I added a couple of comments as well.  Overall, I agree with the concerns raised about the formulas for determining the grant score.

Aaron Kerr
    Law Enforcement Coordinator
    Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    307-233-6413

• 17.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-27-2020 05:57 PM
      |   view attached
    I agree with everyone's comments especially Cody's and Mark's and have attached a couple comments to their file. I actually thought I had submitted something a while back but learned today via Hannah that it did not get submitted which isn't surprising since I honestly have had some big computer issues (I know great excuse but really I have just ask Joe Carro). Anyways I'd like to submit this one now and perhaps I will find the one I meant to send which isn't too different and is in line with several of the other comments. Thanks to everyone for getting this done AND for those that haven't there's still a little time!

JoeMcCullough
    Alaska Office of Boating Safety

• 18.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-28-2020 01:18 PM
      |   view attached
    I have attached a letter of support and comment for this project on behalf of WSBAA.

Aaron Kerr
    Law Enforcement Coordinator
    Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    307-233-6413

• 19.  RE: New State RBS Grant Program Guide

Posted 05-29-2020 01:42 PM

I downloaded the pdf from Connect and have attached my comments. I believe that most of my points have been captured, and a couple of observations may not be relevant as I learned more about this document.

I also attached a proposed revision of the accounting spreadsheet.

The media outreach additions should be self-explanatory. One thing that I'd like to point out in my proposal in this section is that there is a new column that asks for the "TOTAL Dollars spent on media outreach campaigns. The following columns then ask for "Percentage of media budget spent on …..?" and a performance indicator. I know this document is not intended to be a "survey," however, if people are taking the time to fill this out, the information should be useful. Asking these questions should get people to think about using the most efficient methods to reach people that produce the best return on investment.

I'm making some recommendations in the "Class section," which I believe will paint a better picture of the real world. I left the "NUMBER OF PERSONS ATTENDING STATE/NASBLA APPROVED COURSES" and "NUMBER OF PERSONS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING STATE/NASBLA APPROVED COURSES AND CERTIFICATES" heading. I sort of understand why the information listed under both headings might be useful. However, I believe one of these headings could be eliminated if there was a "Total Number of Official State Boating Certificates Issued." I think that knowing the "Total Number of Official State Boating Certificates Issued" is an important number to know and will become more important in the future.

To give us a better understanding of what organizations are providing boating education in the US. I'm also suggesting that the boating education course provider category be better defined. I've edited the existing USCG categories and added a new one. (Bold red text is new.)

-         STATE Agency Taught    

-         For-Profit Company Taught        

-         COAST GUARD AUXILIARY Taught            

-         US POWER SQUADRON Taught

I'm not sure why the USCG Aux and Power Squadrons are called out specifically. Doing this and not providing a place to count the for-profit companies providing boating education in the US does not give an accurate accounting of where boaters are getting their education.

I wanted to clarify the "State" category. To do this, I added "Agency Taught" to indicate the number of boating courses a state agency provided the public using its resources and taught by state employees and volunteers. It does NOT count "state-authorized" courses offered by for-profit companies. The "For-Profit Company Taught" category would count all the classes taught by a for-profit company authorized to deliver boating education in that state.

Mark Chanski
    NASBLA Deputy Education Director
    NASBLA