Vessel Identification, Registration & Titling

View Only
  • 1.  Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-05-2018 09:21 AM

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Vessel Identification, Registration & Titling Community. To share information with you and provide a community where you can discuss vessel registration and titling issues, we've set up this online community in NASBLA Connect.

Some of you may already know one another, while others are brand-new faces. I'd like to start us off with taking a little time to introduce ourselves. Share your name, where you're from, how long you've been involved in recreational boating safety, what your job is like, and your favorite place to vacation...or whatever else you want.

I'll kick us off: I'm Ron, deputy director with NASBLA, stationed here at NASBLA HQ in Lexington, Kentucky. I've been with NASBLA since September 1993. I've done everything from staffing committees to planning conferences to writing grants. My favorite place to vacation is Maui, Hawaii. Here are pics of my two "kids" -- my Corgi, Maggie, and my rescue Beagle, Lexi.

Join the conversation - introduce yourself today and begin networking with your registration and titling colleagues.

If you need help signing in or setting up your profile, visit here or email me at ron@nasbla.org

Best,

Ron

------------------------------
    RonSarver
    Deputy Executive Director
    National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

• 2.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-07-2018 03:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack Ellis. I live in Miami, Florida and I am the Managing Director of Info-Link, a firm founded in 1995 that specializes in market research for the recreational boating industry.  As an avid boater and steward of our oceans, I have been blessed with the opportunity to marry my professional background with my passion for the water.  I've also had the good fortune to work with many of the world's leading recreational boating organizations, including NASBLA.  I lost track, but I believe this is at least my 15th year with NASBLA (pre-Mackinac Island conference).

Probably no surprise, but when I'm not working, you can usually find me somewhere on the ocean with my family and friends or tinkering with a boat.  We have a three-legged cat but she doesn't hold a candle to Ron's "kids" so I won't post a picture.  Besides, dogs are better than cats (sorry cat lovers).

Looking forward to Indy, albeit a short visit.

Jack

Jack Ellis
    Info-Link

• 3.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-08-2018 10:19 AM
    Welcome Jack!   Look forward to seeing you in Indy!

RonSarver
    Deputy Executive Director

• 4.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-19-2018 11:18 AM
    ​Hello everyone.  My name is Rick Barrera, I am the NASBLA Staff Person for the VIRT Committee since January, 2015.  Prior to my coming to NASBLA, I served on the VIRT Committee for 16 years as the Chair, Vice-Chair and Sub-Committee Chair.  In November 2014, after 35 years with the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft, I retired as the Deputy Chief of Administration.  I have worked in the registration & titling field of recreational vessels since 1998.

On a side note, I enjoy football, basketball and baseball, especially at the high school level.  I am also a certified Ohio High School official in basket ball and baseball for the past 15 years.

NASBLA has been and continues to be a great place to share information and learn new things, so I encourage you to use the NASBLA VIRT Connect site to keep abreast of what is happening in the world of vessel registration & titling across the county.  Please do not hesitate to contact myself or any VIRT members for assistance.

RickBarrera
    VIRT Staff

• 5.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-20-2018 08:52 AM
    Hello!

My name is Caroline and I work for BoatHistoryReport.com in whatever capacity is needed (my business card says Director of Business Development).  It's a small company, founded 13 years ago by a college friend, that has grown immensely and is focused on ensuring transparency in the boating world (think Carfax for boats).  I joined the VIRT committee 3(?) years ago after learning of UCOTVA and wanting to help get it adopted in more states!

Most of you know already that if you can't find me, I'm probably out running (between injuries) or tasting bourbon (when I am injured- which is often; I'm clumsy).  I live in North Palm Beach and am a true Floridian (born and raised).  That being said, I dream of living in the mountains out west somewhere or in NC where people are nice and the biscuits are plentiful.  

Looking forward to meeting the newbies this year and always love seeing the more "seasoned" team members!  The VIRT gang, even with the changing roll call, is truly the best NASBLA team there is!  (Sorry ERAC!).

CarolineMantel
    Director of Business Development
    BoatHistoryReport.com

• 6.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-21-2018 04:56 PM
    ​Hi Everyone!

I'm Julie, manager of the Boat Titling, Registration & Marine Licensing program with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I've got a BBA in Finance from Texas State University and I've been with the department for over 18 years, all of which in the boat titling and registration section.  Our program has seen a lot of changes over the years (all for the better, I'm happy to say), and, while not what I thought of as my dream job when I was a kid, I could not ask for a better place or better people with whom to work.

When not working, you can find me painting, gaming, making jewelry, biking or kayaking. I'm fortunate to live in a city (Austin) that loves its outdoor spaces and there are hundreds of parks, trails, waterways and outdoor venues within the city and surrounding areas to visit and enjoy year round.  Although, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in August when it's humid and the temperature hovers around 100 degrees every day.  (Seriously - been there, done that, thought I was going to die. Lol)  Save for a few elementary school years when my family lived just outside of D.C., I've been in Austin all of my life and cannot imagine living anywhere else (except in August – in August I dream of being in Alaska). 

My husband and I have two furry children. Our dog, Toby (who, while normally fiercely loyal, would throw us over in heartbeat for a French fry), and our cat, Isabella (who likes us very much but absolutely hates the vets office – they have offered to prescribe "behavior modification" meds for her on more than one occasion).

Last year was my first on the VIRT Committee. I absolutely loved meeting everyone, learned a great deal, and I think we got a lot accomplished.  I'm looking forward to another productive year and the chance to meet the new members this year!

Julie Aronow
    Manager, Boat Titling, Registration & Marine Licensing
    TX Parks & Wildlife Dept

• 7.  RE: Welcome & Introductions

Posted 09-24-2018 02:26 PM
    ​Hi everyone, I'm Steph.  I'm a Wildlife Officer (23 years) and also the BLA (15 years) for Arkansas.  Ron has informed me that I'm currently the second "oldest" BLA - thanks Ron!  Yes, I've been around NASBLA for awhile.  I've served as Chair of the Law Enforcement Committee and the former Boat Accident Investigation Reporting and Analysis (BAIRAC) Committee (which is now ERAC).  Since my awesome stint on the Executive Board is over I wanted to re-engage in committee work which is really the backbone of NASBLA. 

On a personal note I enjoy hunting, fishing, kayaking (flat water only) and I'm a mild New Orleans Saints fan (LOL)!  You can find me vacationing in the Big Easy or occasionally checking in with my pal Mickey in Disney World, but most days are spent seeing what my 6 month old Cane Corso will get into today!!
    thumbnail image

Looking forward to learning from everyone on this committee and also having a blast doing it!

StephanieWeatherington
    BLA
    AR Game & Fish Commission(501) 223-6379