MAY 24, 2018: Memorial Day weekend is a major kick-off to the boating season in many parts of the country. As outreach and summer enforcement patrols increase, Operation Dry Water has compiled many useful resources to assist you in educating boaters about boating under the influence and boating safety.
- Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in recreational boating deaths and a major factor in accidents on the water.
- Boating under the influence is illegal. Operating a boat with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher is against federal law.
- Alcohol use is dangerous for passengers too. Impairment can cause slips, falls over board and other dangerous accidents.
- If you boat under the influence of drugs or alcohol you are endangering your life and the lives of others.
- Alcohol use impairs a boater’s judgment, balance, vision and reaction time.
- Sun, wind, noise, vibration and rocking of the boat are all “stressors” common to the boating environment. These stressors intensify the effects of alcohol, drugs, and some medications.
- Operation Dry Water is a year-round boating under the influence awareness campaign.
- Operation Dry Water heightened enforcement weekend will be June 29 - July 1, 2018.
- The mission of Operation Dry Water is to decrease the number of alcohol- and drug-related accidents and fatalities through increased recreational boater awareness and by fostering a stronger and more visible deterrent to alcohol use on the water.
There are additional talking points available for enforcement campaigns and awareness campaigns.