NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Channel Construction

Posted 05-28-2021 11:52 AM

The Division of Parks & Watercraft in Ohio, in addition to being responsible for boating education, registration and safety, is a landholding division.  The division has authority over state parks, many of which have inland lakes as large as 12,700 acres.  In many places there is private property that ends at the shoreline of state operated lakes.  I have been asked to determine how many other states have similar situations?  I assume that in many cases your state may own the entire shoreline with private property well removed from the water's edge.

I am also interested to know if your state does have private property at the water's edge at state lakes, do you permit channel construction to the main pool for private development and what process you have for reviewing applications?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Scott Fletcher, CPM, CPRP

Boating Law Administrator

Ohio State Parks & Watercraft

C 614-946-5974

• 2.  RE: Channel Construction

Posted 06-02-2021 04:06 PM
    Scott,

Alaska State Parks manages several park units where a lake is within the State Park or State Recreation Area and private property is adjacent to the shoreline. 
    We do not permit channel construction but we do permit dock construction/installation. This is done through a Special Use Permit through Alaska State Parks and in conjunction with the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game Habitat Division's permitting office. 
    Let me know if I can provide any other information for your research. 

Drew McElvain
    Chief Ranger
    Alaska State Parks-Mat-Su Region

------------------------------
    Andrew McElvain
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Channel Construction

Posted 06-02-2021 04:46 PM
    Thanks, Drew!

Scott Fletcher
    Ohio State Parks & Watercraft
    C 614-946-5974