NASBLA Roundtable

View Only

Grant monies used for Boating Safety Materials and educators charging to instruct the course.....

• 1.  Grant monies used for Boating Safety Materials and educators charging to instruct the course.....

Posted 10-25-2022 11:24 AM
    Good morning,
    So, I missed the water cooler meeting last Thursday because I was on vacation.  I did watch it yesterday and caught the part about using USCG monies to purchase student handbooks and test materials for the Boating Safety Course.  And it goes against the USCG grant to give the materials to instructors who charge people to take the course, because it's a "Conflict of interest".  I have the grant guidelines in my hands and am trying to find where it says instructors cannot charge for the course.  Unfortunately, most of the instructors in our State are US Coast Guard Aux. and they charge $30 a person to teach the course.  Can someone send me the wording or the statute that states this goes against the grant?  We certainly do NOT want to continue to hand out materials for free, if these outside organizations are charging for the course and it goes against the grant.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Donna Seymour
    NRP
    ------------------------------