Boating Accident News 12/28/2012

By Kristy Moore posted 12-28-2012 11:24 AM

12-26-12 BEAUFORT, SC 1 fisherman dead, 1 in hospital after boat capsizes on Broad River (12-26-12) A Beaufort fisherman is dead and a 2nd is hospitalized for treatment of hypothermia after their 19-ft. skiff capsized on the Broad River on Wed (12-26) afternoon. The men were fishing for oysters near Corn Island when the boat capsized, the surviving fisherman told Beaufort Water Search & Rescue officials. The men stayed atop the capsized boat for a time before one of them tried to swim to shore. He did not make it. The identities of the 2 men were unavailable late Wed. night. The surviving fisherman was rescued around 7:15 p.m. The body of the dead man was located by a USCG helicopter around 11:10 p.m. Officials were working to recover it from the water. Both men were wearing lifejackets, officials said. Gale warning remained in effect until 4 a.m. Thur. (12-27) with wind gusts reaching 35-40 kts. and seas of 6-9 ft. Read full story here.

12-19-12 CAPE PORPOISE, ME Search called off, Maine students still missing Portland Press Herald (12-27-12) The search for 2 boat-building students who were last seen Wed. (12-19) has ended without turning up any evidence of the men. Searchers from the Maine Marine Patrol used a plane Wed. (12-26) to search the waters off Cape Porpoise, and were able to see to the bottom of most of the area at low tide.
Nothing was spotted, Kennebunkport Deputy Police Chief Kurt Moses said Thur. (12-27). Two boats -- including one with side-scan sonar -- were used to search the only area where the crew in the plane could not see to the bottom, Moses said. After the sonar returned 2 "blips," divers were sent into the water, but they found nothing. "We were able to determine that the likelihood of them being in the harbor has been exhausted," he said. Because of the lack of any evidence regarding the men's whereabouts, the length of time they have been missing and the snowstorm that moved in Thur., the search was stopped. Police and the Marine Patrol had been looking for Zachary Wells, 21, of Burlington, Vt., and Prescott Wright, 23, of Barnstable, Mass., since they were last seen, on Dec. 19, drinking with friends at Wells' home near the Cape Porpoise pier. Both men, who attended The Landing School in Arundel, left their wallets and cellphones behind when they left the house, police and school officials have said. On Mon. (12-24), Marine Patrol units found clothing on a ledge near Goat Island that they believe belonged to one of the men. Subsequent searches uncovered no other signs of the men. Moses said the water was searched because of its proximity to Wells' house and interviews with friends, who said it would be in character for the two to head out on the water. He said police and Marine Patrol units have not found a boat that the men might have used, and there have been no reports of missing boats from homeowners in the area. However, Moses said, many of the homes in the area are seasonal so a missing boat likely wouldn't be discovered for months. Read full story here.
12-21-12 RIVIERA BEACH, FL Boat sinks overnight in Riviera Beach; two adults unharmed (12-21-12) A boat sank in Riviera Beach overnight and local Red Cross volunteers helped coordinate aid for 2 adults on the vessel. Crews were called to E. 13th Street before 5 a.m. Riviera Beach Police dispatch says there were no injuries or fatalities in the incident. Red Cross volunteers responded to the scene and helped coordinate aid for the adults. The volunteers provided the 2 with lodging, food and clothing. Read full story here.
12-08-12 PALM BEACH INLET, FL Yacht sinks near inlet; 12 rescued (12-08-12) Off-duty Palm Beach Fire-Rescue spokesman James Weber witnessed a 38-ft. ocean yacht sink Sat. (12-08) in the Palm Beach Inlet. All 12 people were rescued from the boat. Several boats in the area helped pull people from the water, as did members of the Riviera Beach PD and the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office. “We were coming in from a dive and were one of the first 2 boats on the scene,” Weber said. “We had our dive gear ready to look for victims if everyone was not accounted for.” Read full story.
12-24-12 MOUNT ARLINGTON, NJ Three men treated for hypothermia after canoe capsizes in Lake Hopatcong (12-24-12) Three people were treated for hypothermia after their canoe capsized in Lake Hopatcong early Mon. morning (12-24). Patrolmen Greg Carson and Patrick DeRosa responded about 3:15 a.m. to a house near Lake Hopatcong on a report that a canoe overturned in the lake, plunging 3 men into the frigid water. Police Chief Keith Licata said the men, Derek Betch, 26, of Dumas, Texas, Brian Collins, 25, of Hillsborough, N.C., and Thomas Capo, 25, of Hopatcong, fell into the lake after the canoe capsized. All 3 swam to shore and went to Collins’ house for help. Licata did not know why the men were in the lake so early in the morning. The men were transported to St. Clare’s Hosp. in Dover and were treated for hypothermia. Read full story here.
12-21-12 HYDE PARK, NY 1 of 2 men missing in canoe capsizing was to be married (12-24-12) One of the 2 men missing after the canoe they were in capsized in the Hudson River early Fri. (12-21) was due to be married the next day, according to state police. Sgt. Darren Forbes of the Rhinebeck barracks on Sun. said state police scuba divers and helicopters were assisting in the search for the men, but Hyde Park town police were in charge of the search. “We are an assisting agency, so I don’t know which of the 2 men it was who was to be married. But, the canoe trip apparently was part of a bachelor party the night before,” Forbes said. Hyde Park town Police Chief Eric Paolilli was not available Sun. (12-23). Forbes said that due to heavy rains Fri., the Hudson River was running rapidly and rescue appeared doubtful, given the time the men have been missing and the river temperature. State police Lt. Gene Hallenbeck of the Wappingers barracks said Sun. evening that the state police dive team called off the search around 4:30 p.m. due to darkness. Hallenbeck said the state police dive team has suspended operations. “They’ve searched a wide area, with negative results,” Hallenbeck said, noting that the mission would now turn to recovery as opposed to rescue, as it has been since the accident occurred. Emergency responders searched both the Hudson River and nearby land again Sun. for Barrett Raymond, 31, of Hyde Park, and Baylin Coddington, 26, of Millbrook, who went missing after their canoe capsized in the river near the Rodgers Point Boat Club early Fri. morning, Hyde Park police said. Raymond, Coddington and Michael Maurer, 29, of Hyde Park, took the 14-ft. canoe onto the river about 11:30 p.m. Thur. (12-20) and held on to the overturned canoe after it capsized. Maurer eventually swam to shore and went for help. Maurer made it to shore shortly after 1:30 a.m. Fri. and walked about 1/2 mi. to an apartment complex, where he began knocking on doors looking for help. Once authorities were notified, the land and water search began immediately. Area FDs also were dispatched, and emergency workers continued to look for the 2 missing men on both land and water. Hyde Park police said none of the men was wearing a PFD and that police were  investigating whether alcohol was a factor in the accident. Read full story here.
12-23-12 ADA TOWNSHIP, MI Fire chief: Man rescued from frigid Thornapple River had been clinging to dam for 45 minutes (12-23-12) Police and fire crews on Sun. (12-23) rescued a man in his mid-30s from the Thornapple River after his kayak overturned, plunging him into the frigid water. Ada Fire Chief Jim Duvall said the man, whose name was not disclosed, was in the river about 45 min., clinging to concrete at the base of a nearby dam, before rescuers saved him. The man got too close to the dam, Duvall said. A sign posted on the structure warns against boating, fishing and other activities because of currents. Police received a call just after noon Sun. from the man's wife, who was at the dam when police arrived. "He didn’t have a lifejacket on and he didn’t know how to swim," said Duvall, who added the man might have been fishing. Duvall estimated the water temperature was between 35 and 40 degrees. A rescue boat from Cascade Township was summoned to fish the man from the river. The man was taken by ambulance to a Grand Rapids hosp. for treatment of hypothermia. Crews were unable to obtain much information from the man, instead relying on his wife. "He was pretty cold and shivery," Duvall said. "It’s hard to get anything straight out of him." Read full story here.

#Michigan #SouthCarolina #Maine #Sinks #Florida #NewJersey #Fisherman #Hypothermia #Yacht #Capsizing #Canoe #NewYork #Searchandrescueoperations #Missingpersons