Boating Accident News 2/22/2013

By Kristy Moore posted 02-22-2013 03:37 PM

02-11-13 SPRINGS, NY Woman Rescued from Sinking Boat in Springs (02-11-13) Springs firefighters saved a woman off a house boat that was sinking into the icy waters of Three Mile Harbor in the early morning hrs on Mon. (02-11). After firefighters were called to Gardiner's Marina at 4:11 a.m., Miller said they found a woman standing barefoot on the boat's snowy deck. "It was going down real fast," he said of the boat, which estimated between 30-35 ft. The boat, which was tied up to the dock, was tilted to the left side, pulling away from the dock. According to an incident report police filed, a man who had been on board with the woman tried to leap from the boat to the dock, but fell into the icy water. He managed to pull himself up to the dock, and then flagged down police. Firefighters stretched a ladder from the dock to the boat. East Hampton Town Police Officer Denis Shea crawled across it to get to the woman and help bring her to dry land, according to 2nd Assistant Chief David King. With temperatures at 25 degrees in E. Hampton, the woman was taken to Southampton Hosp. for possible hypothermia. While her current condition was not immediately known, he said she seemed to just need a place to get warm after standing outside for 15 min. The man refused medical attention. The chief said that the snow on the top of the boat after the blizzard may have caused it to take on water. The pair had been asleep when the house boat began taking on water, he believed. The head of the harbor, as well as water in the marina, was frozen. A contractor is in the process of removing the boat from the water, according to Marine Patrol Chief Ed Michels. The FD, which responded with 2 engines, the heavy rescue truck, and the ambulance, as well as about 35 firefighters, was back in the firehouse in about 45 min. The E. Hampton Townwide Hazmat team, under the supervision of the E. Hampton Fire Marshal's office, also responded, to assess the boat for leaking fuel in the frozen harbor. Read full story here.
02-20-13 PENNSVILLE TOWNSHIP, NJ Crews respond to Pennsville side of Delaware River for stuck boat (02-20-13) A boat that became stuck in the mud in the Delaware River prompted emergency crews from Salem Co. and Delaware to the scene to assist. A boat became grounded in the river at around 3:48 p.m. The operator reportedly went into the water to attempt to free the vessel, but was unsuccessful. He then contacted authorities. A Delaware State Police helicopter was called to help tow the boat to the Pennsville shore, in the area of the Pennsville boat ramp. The operator was examined by Pennsville Ambulance, but refused any further treatment. Pennsville Fire and Rescue, Carneys Point Rescue Squad, and Pennsville Police responded to the scene to assist. Read full story here.
02-18-13 GRANTS PASS, OR Grants Pass man drowns on fishing trip (02-19-13) A Grants Pass man drowned Mon. afternoon (02-18) during a Middle Rogue Steelheaders fishing club outing when his boat got tangled in the branches of a tree in the Rogue River W. of Merlin. Geoffrey Lee Wood, 71, was dead when he was pulled from the river by other members of the group, the Josephine Co. Sheriff's Dept. said. The sheriff's dept. received a report at 2:15 p.m. of a boat overturned in the Rogue River upstream from the Robertson Bridge Boat Ramp. A marine deputy was at the ramp and spotted a lifejacket, oar and Thermos floating down the river. Wood was with 2 other men when their boat got hung up on the branches of a tree near a bend of the river several hundred yds upstream from the boat landing. All went into the water. Wood's fellow boaters hung onto the tree and were rescued, but Wood floated downstream, his lifejacket not inflated, fishermen with the group told the Grants Pass Daily Courier. The Courier reported that men in a 2nd boat had tried to free Wood's entangled boat, but were unable to. Another boat pulled the 2 men clinging to the tree's limbs to safety. Wood was pulled to shore downstream, but had no pulse. Read full story here.
02-20-13 OCEAN CITY, NJ Rowers Transported to Hospital After Grounding Crew Shell (02-20-13) Ocean City High School crew team members were transported as a precaution after getting wet in 36-degree water. Members of an Ocean City High School crew team rowed into 20 mph W. winds with an air temperature of about 30 degrees on Wed. afternoon (02-20). When their 8-man shell got stuck in the mud, they ended up wading through 36-degree water to get to shore. Nobody was injured, but 7 cold and wet students were transported by 2 Ocean City FD ambulances to Shore Medical Center as a precaution, according to Capt. Dave Weeks. The team's shells are stored and launched from under the 34th Street Bridge, and the boat was stuck in the mud about 20 ft. from shore a few blocks away, according to Ocean City Police Capt. Steven Ang. The FD responded with police to the 6:16 p.m. water rescue call and found all students on shore and a boat against the pilings. Firefighters helped secure the boat at Waterview Road and warm the rowers before transporting them. Some were released to parents. The bay water temperature was 36 degrees at 7 p.m. file://localhost/. Read full story here.
02-21-13 WILSONVILLE, OR Owner found after unattended boat reported in Willamette River at Wilsonville (02-21-13) Marine rescue crews called off their search of the Willamette River at Wilsonville,  after locating the owner of a motorboat seen running in circles -- unoccupied -- in the river. Witnesses called 911 shortly after 2:20 p.m. Thur. (02-21), suggesting that the 15-ft. aluminum fishing boat may have struck something while under power, ejecting the operator. Crews from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue and the Clackamas Co. Water Rescue Consortium were rushed to the scene, launching search boats and crews to scour the area near the Boones Ferry Marina. By 2:57 p.m., the boat ran out of gas and was seen drifting downstream. A Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Marine Unit deputy reported at 3:15 p.m. that he had found the owner. His name and condition were not released. Read full story here.
02-21-13 STOCKTON, CA Boat burns at marina fueling dock (02-22-13) A 26-ft. boat was destroyed by fire Thur. afternoon (02-21) while fueling at Village West Marina, fire officials said. Firefighters went to the scene just after 1 p.m. and fought the flames from the dock, Chief Operator Art Ray said. He described the fire as "stubborn." Firefighters had a hard time accessing the fire and did not want to apply so much water that the boat would sink. Eventually, the burned boat was hauled to shore. The USCG and the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife were notified, but Ray said there appeared to be no fuel leakage, and the runoff was contained using booms. No injuries were reported. Read full story here.
02-16-13 NAG’S HEAD, NC Coast Guard rescues 2 on stranded sailboat off NC (02-19-13) The USCG has rescued 2 people on a disabled sailboat off the North Carolina coast. The CG says it got a report Sat. night (02-16) that the 43-ft. sailboat Cimarron had lost its rigging and was drifting about 17 mi. E. of Oregon Inlet. The CG dispatched a patrol boat from Atlantic Beach and a life boat from Oregon Inlet. The smaller boat arrived around 1:30 Sat. morning and began towing the sailboat. The larger patrol boat arrived Sun. afternoon (02-17) and took over the tow. The CG patrol boat then turned the sailboat over to another vessel in Chesapeake Bay, Va., on Mon. afternoon (02-18). No one was hurt. The names of those on the sailboat were not released. Read full story here.
A windy night on Port Townsend Bay: Sailboat blown against security boom at Naval Magazine Indian Island, 2 crew rescued (02-16-13) E. Jefferson Fire Rescue personnel launched a search effort Sat. evening (02-16) on windy Port Townsend Bay in search of a sailboat in distress – which was located stuck against a floating security boom at Naval Magazine Indian Island. The search began shortly before 8 p.m. with the report of a sailboat possibly sinking or otherwise in distress in Port Townsend Bay or near Indian Island. EJFR personnel launched a search by sea and on land, and called for a USCG helicopter to assist. There were multiple and conflicting reports about the sailboat’s possible location, according to radio traffic. About 8:17 p.m. an EJFR boat located the sailboat stuck against the floating security boom toward the northern end of the Navy pier on Indian Island across the bay from Port Townsend. The USCG helicopter arrived shortly thereafter and used its spotlight to illuminate the boat. While emergency personnel gathered at the small boat dock on Indian Island, a Navy base security boat went out to the stranded sailboat. About 8:30 p.m. it was reported that 2 people were safely removed from the sailboat, and were OK – they had not been in the water. The two people were transported to shore while a towing company was called to deal with the sailboat. The wind was reportedly blowing about 35 mph at the Navy pier when the rescue took place. High winds and heavy seas led Washington State Ferries to cancel its Port Townsend-Coupeville sailing service as of about 6:30 p.m. Feb. 16. Read full story here.
02-15-13 TEN THOUSAND ISLANDS, FL Coast Guard rescues man from canoe near Pavilion Key local10.c0m (02-15-13) USCG crews say they helped rescue a 71-y/o man from his canoe at 12 am Fri. (02-15) near Pavilion Key. According to the CG, watch standers at Sector Key West had received a phone call from a 911 dispatcher who said another boater in a canoe saw, then lost sight of, a man making signs with a flash light. An MH65 Dolphin helicopter crew from CG Air Station Miami arrived at the scene and found the man. The CG said he was signaling the aircrew for help. The crew said they hoisted the man aboard and brought him to Naples Airport. CG said the man was evaluated by emergency medical service technicians. Read full story here.

02-16-13 SAN FRANCISCO, CA Man dies after crash between ferry, boat (02-18-12) An Oregon man has died after the Sat. (02-16) collision between a 22-ft. motorboat and a ferry carrying about 500 passengers. A 2nd person remains hospitalized with serious injuries. Harry Holzhauer, 68, of Tigard, Ore., was in the motorboat when it collided with the MS San Francisco, a Golden Gate ferry, at about 4 p.m. in Raccoon Strait near Tiburon. The 2nd victim, whose name was not released, was also in the motorboat. No one on the ferry was injured. The investigation is continuing, and no further information is expected to be released until it is completed, said Lt. j.g. Mark Leahey, a USCG spokesman. The ferry was on its regular 3:50 p.m. run from Sausalito to San Francisco when the collision occurred. The motorboat was traveling at high speed at the time of the collision, said Mary Currie, a spokeswoman for the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District, which runs the ferry system. The CG and the Tiburon Fire Protection District responded to the scene of the crash. The 2 injured people on the motorboat were taken to Marin General Hosp., where Holzhauer later died.
The ferry was back in service Monday. Read full story here.

#Fishing #NewYork #Coast Guard #sailboat #California #NorthCarolina #drowns #Canoesandcanoeing #Searchandrescueoperations #Fires #NewJersey #Florida #sink #Death #crash #Washington(State) #Ferries #Oregon