Boating Accident News 12/17/2013

By Kristy Moore posted 12-17-2013 04:29 PM


Coast Guard Rescues 2 From Capsized Boat Near St. George Island 12-13-13 - St. George Island, MD
The Coast Guard rescued two men Friday after the boaters’ 22-foot boat capsized approximately 200 yards off St. George Island. St. Mary’s County 911 dispatch contacted watchstanders at Coast Guard Station St. Inigoes at approximately 1:30 p.m. to request assistance. Station watchstanders diverted a 25-foot Response Boat – Small crew who was training in the area. The RBS crew arrived on scene approximately 10 minutes later and discovered the two men standing on the hull of their boat. “As we were transiting, one of my crewmembers spotted an unfamiliar object sticking out of the water and moving in the distance,” said Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Christopher Jozan, the coxswain aboard the RBS. “Once we got closer, we noticed it was the bow of the boat sticking out of the water with two people standing on top waving their arms. I was glad to see they stayed with the vessel because it presented us with a larger target, making it easier to locate them. We made it there just in time to pull alongside and get them off before the boat completely went under. Had they gone in the water, they could have been subject to hyperthermia, so my main concern was to get them onto our boat before that happened.” The RBS crew took the two boaters aboard and transferred them to awaiting EMS at St. George Island boat ramp. Read full story here. 

Missing kayaker prompts Malibu-area water rescue 12-14-13 – Ventura, CA 
A kayaker who disappeared after entering the ocean along the Pacific Coast Highway near the border between Ventura and Los Angeles counties prompted a water rescue Saturday, according to the Ventura County Fire Department. Ventura County and Los Angeles County fire departments responded to the Malibu-area coastline across from the Neptune’s Net restaurant after receiving reports around 4:45 p.m. that a kayaker had been missing for about 30 minutes. The male kayaker was picked up by a fishing vessel, then retrieved by a California State Parks lifeguard on a jet ski and brought back to shore about 5:35 p.m., according to the Ventura County Fire Department. The extent of the man’s injuries, if any, was unknown. The Ventura County Fire Department deployed a helicopter to the scene as part of a normal response to a water rescue, a spokesman said. Read full story here. 

Volunteer Goes for Cold Swim to Save Kayaker 12-13-13 - Vineland, NJ
A Vineland man has good timing and Brian Riordan to thank for saving his life on Friday.  The man was kayaking in street clothes and hip waders in Corson's Inlet near the bridge into Strathmere when his craft flipped and dumped him into 43-degree water about 4:30 p.m. Friday (Dec. 13). He had a life jacket and was able to cling to the kayak. But he was unable to get back into the craft or get to shore.  Strathmere Volunteer Fire Company Chief Bruce Riordan, who lives nearby, happened to witness the incident.  The chief contacted his son, Brian Riordan, a former Upper Township Beach Patrol member and Fire Company volunteer, who also was near at hand.  The younger Riordan plunged into the icy water and swam out 100 feet to rescue the kayaker, according to Steve Nickelsberg, safety officer for the Fire Company.  He estimated the middle-aged man spent 5 to 10 minutes in the water. The kayaker was conscious "but not completely there" after he and Riordan reached the beach, Nickelsberg said.  He was transported by the Ocean City Fire Department to Shore Memorial Hospital for treatment of hypothermia and is expected to recover.  Riordan was able to shower and warm up after his rescue effort, according to Nickelsberg. Read full story here.

Fire guts yacht moored in Harbor Island 12-16-13 - San Diego, CA
A fire possibly sparked by an electrical malfunction destroyed a 57-foot yacht docked on Harbor Island today. Workers were servicing a generator and other power equipment aboard the 50-year-old Chris-Craft Constellation at Sunroad Resort Marina when the non- injury blaze erupted shortly after 12:30 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire- Rescue Department.  The repairmen helped the owner of the boat, christened the "Sea Siesta," get out of her burning vessel while firefighters were en route, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.  It took the emergency crews about 50 minutes to subdue the flames. The fire and the water used to extinguish it left the yacht partially sunk.  The blaze, which apparently originated in the engine room of the boat, resulted in no known spill of fuel or other toxins into the waters of San Diego Bay, Luque said.  The cause of the fire was under investigation. Read full story here.

#Coast Guard #NewJersey #Capsizing #Harbors #Kayak #Maryland #Islands #California #Searchandrescueoperations #Yachts #volunteer #Coldwaterimmersion #Fires