NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-04-2021 08:52 AM
    Does anyone have an example of a simple visual limited text safety sign at a canoe launch site small lake no whitewater
    Thank you
    Sigrid pilgrim

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-04-2021 10:24 AM
    Sigrid:

This is a link to a Universal Signage Recommendation document that the NASBLA Paddlesports Committee developed in 2007.  It might be helpful.

https://community.nasbla.org/viewdocument/universal-signage-recommendation

------------------------------
    Ron Sarver
    Chief, Knowledge & Learning Management Systems
    National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

• 3.  RE: Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-05-2021 05:47 PM

Thank you for the link. But this isn't what I am looking for. I would like a simple, visual, minimal text that can be used on a metal sign at a launch site.

Here is an example (note – the graphics are from the internet – so obviously NOT to be used – but to convey the key safety concepts. This was a suggestion some years back for the Illinois DNR that was looking for safety signage to be installed at the Lake Michigan Water Trail Launch sites.

If anyone has any signs or suggestions – again – just a simple, bold graphic, minimal text – visual – so anyone passing (and eager to get into the boat) can glace at and understand. I think everyone knows that pictures are worth a thousand words, and – using traffic signs as an example – a "no right turn" is the same everywhere and easily understood.

Looking forward to any feedback. Thank you – Sigrid Pilgrim

• 4.  RE: Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-08-2021 08:52 AM

The Ohio River Recreation Train is interested in similar signage.  Short, impact signage at major launch points along the river. 

Paul Barnard

Recreational Boating Safety Program Manager

U.S. Coast Guard Eighth District

500 Poydras St. Rm 1331

New Orleans, LA 70130

504-671-2148

Visit The Coast Guard Boating Safety Website  https://www.uscgboating.org/

• 5.  RE: Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-17-2021 09:22 AM
    Here are some signs I came across some time back that I thought were pretty good.

Cody Jones
    Boating Law Administrator
    Asst. Commander Game Warden
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
    512-389-4624 Office
    512-431-1326 cell
    cody.jones@tpwd.texas.gov

Texas Game Wardens Serving Texans since 1895 - Law Enforcement off the Pavement

• 6.  RE: Canoe launch site sign

Posted 06-17-2021 11:06 AM
      |   view attached

Cody,

Thank you – nice signs, however, we are more thinking of having a sign with multiple safety messages – similar to the one developed by our IDNR for the Lake Michigan Water Trail Launch signs -preferably with fewer colors and simpler too – see attached - Sigrid